Sample Question Papers
Common Entrance Examination (CEE) is conducted on last Sunday of each month except in the Month of March, June, September and December. It comprises of following papers:
- Soldier (General Duty). It generally comprises of questions on General Knowledge, General Science and Maths. Duration of paper is 60 minutes. Total marks – 100. Pass marks – 32. Level – Matriculation.
- Soldier (Technical). It generally comprises of questions on General Knowledge, Physical, Maths and Chemistry. Duration of paper is 60 minutes. Total marks – 200. Pass marks – 80. Level – 10 + 2 of CBSE and State Education
- Soldier (Nursing Assistant). It generally comprises of questions on General Knowledge, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. Duration of paper is 60 minutes. Total marks – 200. Pass marks – 80. Level – Maths (Matriculation
Level) and others 10 + 2 of CBSE and State Education Boards.
Soldier (Clerk / Store Keeper Technical). It comprises of two parts:
Part 1 (100 marks)
- Objective Type Multiple Choice Questions and General Science – 40 marks.
- Objective Type Multiple Choice Questions. Maths and Computer Science – 60 marks.
Part II (100 marks)
Subjective essay type of questions in English comprising grammar, comprehension, letter writing, essay writing, paragraph writing etc.
- Maximum marks – 200, time – 60 minutes.
- A candidate will be required to score a minimum of 32% (32 marks) in Part I and Part II separately and a minimum of 40% (80 marks) in total to be declare pass in the written examination.
Note: National Cadet Corps (NCC) `C’ Certificate holders seeking enrolment for Soldier (General Duty) are exempted from appearing in written examination but will have to fulfill other laid down criteria.
Awarding of Bonus Marks to Sportsman for Enrolment into the Army.
Previously, 20 bonus marks were added at the time of preparation of merit list for enrolment into the Army to all State / National level sportsmen and those who have represented School / College / District in the Board / University / State Championship respectively
and have secured 1st / 2nd position. To ensure incentive based on level of participation / proficiency, awarding of bonus marks has been graduated as under:
||Represented India at International level
||Represented State at National level
||Represented District at State level
||Represented University Team or Regional Team at District level
Revised policy is effective from 01 Oct 2012.(Auth: Letter No 62529/Rtg 5 (OR) (A) dt 20 Jul 2012)
Opportunity for Enrolment : Orphans.
There being no policy for enrolment of orphans in the Army earlier, a policy has now been formulated for enrolment of orphans. Salient aspects are as under:
Name of Parents.
The details of parents, in case mentioned in the educational certificate of the individual, be considered as actual. In case only the name of the orphan is given, it may also be acceptable after verification from the orphanage and civil administrative authorities.
Date of Birth.
An approximate date of birth is normally given by the orphanage to school authorities which may be considered as actual date of birth. In case exact date of birth is mentioned in the class 10th certificate, the same will also be accepted.
In the absence of any knowledge of caste of the child, the candidate be considered for All India All Class (AIAC) category only. Caste column in the documents may be marked as not known or caste as informed by the candidate be accepted.
(Auth: Letter No 62569/Rtg B (A) dt 05 Nov 2012)
Negative Marking in Common Entrance Examination (CEE) : Soldier General Duty and Soldier Tradesman Category.
The pass percentage of Soldier General Duty and Soldier Tradesmen cat in the
Common Entrance Examination (CEE) has shown an upward turn and is even reaching 90 – 95% at times. Due to limited vacancies available, this results in a much larger number of aspirants, having passed, being placed as Not
in Merit (NIM) in the final selection list. This leads to lower satisfaction levels. In order to correct the situation, it has been decided that negative marking would be applied in the Common Entrance
Examination (CEE) for Soldier General Duty and Soldier Tradesmen categories wef 01 October
2012. As such the following marking system would be implemented:
- 2 marks for every right answer.
- ½ negative mark for every wrong answer.
- 0 mark for answer left blank.
(Auth: Letter No A/64111/R/Rtg 5 (OR) (D) dt 23 May 2012)
Re-mustering of Serving Soldiers into Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical Category.
- Wef 01 Apr 2006, vacancies of Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Inventory Management are being utilized on All India merit basis and 5% vacs of the total vacancies allotted against Regimental / Corps Training Centres are kept reserved for re-mustering.
Intake for Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Inventory Management category during the recruiting year 2012-13 was very low.
- In the present environment better educated soldiers are joining various Regiments in Soldier General Duty category and they are willing for re-mustering to Clerk category. Many of such candidates are working as computer operator in Regiments / units. Re-mustering
is a facility for service career progression to Other Ranks who attains requisite educational standards. AO 4/2008/MP provides an opportunity to serving personnel for re-mustering from one category to another.
- Keeping in view of the above, sanction of the competent authority was accorded to enhance quota of re-mustering in Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Inventory Management category from existing 5% to 10%. The same has been promulgated to the environment vide
letter No 63502/Clk/Rem/Rtg B (C) dt 16 May 2013.
Re-Introduction of Unit HQ Enrolment for Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Inventory Management Category.
- Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Inventory Management Category was included in the list of centrally controlled category on the basis of All India Merit List and was excluded from Unit HQ enrolment wef Apr 2006.
- The educational qualification and standard of education of the wards of JCO / OR has taken a quantum jump as wards of service personnel are getting good facility of education through greater awareness and also good standard of Army Schools / Kendriya Vidyalaya
in the Military Cants. However, they were not able to get the advantage of Unit HQ for better employment opportunity.
- In view of the above, 20% vacs of Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Inventory Management category have been approved through Unit HQ enrolment. Revised policy has been promulgated vide letter No 62536/Rtg B (A) dt 11 Jul 2013 and is effective from
01 October 2013.
- All candidates who meet the educational, physical and age Qualitative Requirement (QR) for Clerk category can apply in their parent Regimental Centre. The Regimental Centre will scrutinised documents for their age
and educational Qualitative Requirement (QR). Physical Fitness Test (PFT), Physical Measurement Test and Medical examination will be conducted in similar manner as existing for other categories.
Common Entrance Examination (CEE) will be conducted at Regtimental Centres and evaluation of answer sheets will be carried out centrally under the
aegis of the nominated HQ Recruiting Zone. A common merit list will be made for all Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Inventory Management candidates after allotting them bonus marks as per existing policy. Minimum 20% vacancies will be reserved for
Unit HQ quota candidates. In case more No of candidates from Unit HQ quota pass in
Common Entrance Examination (CEE), they will be considered as per common merit and the 20% vacancies restriction will not be applied.
Re-mustering of Serving Soldiers into Havildar (Education) and Havildar (Survey Automated Cartographer).
- Re-mustering of service soldiers into a higher trade / category is provisioned to accord an opportunity to them to acquire a higher trade in conformity with their educational qualifications. Besides being a welfare measure it also serves to make up the
deficiency in various higher trades. In view of the above, re-mustering in Havildar (Education) and Havildar (Survey Automated Cartographer) has been approved upto 40% of the vacancies.
- Serving soldiers are exempted from the recruitment medical examination as conducted for fresh civil candidates. However, they are required to be in medical category SHAPE-1. Seniority of direct entry candidates vis-à-vis re-mustered in-service candidates
is taken from the date on which the re-mustering is effective.
- This policy is effective from 01 Oct 2013 and promulgated vide letter No A/64241/Hav Edn/R/Rtg 5(OR) (D) dt 05 Jun 2013.
Terms & Conditions for Enrolment into Defence Service Corps (DSC)
Any policy with regard to re-enrolment of ex-servicemen into Defence Service Corps (DSC) is promulgated to Regimental / Corps Training Centres and HQ Recruiting Zones including Independent Recruiting Officer (IRO) Delhi with prior concurrence of
Defence Service Corps (DSC) Directorate. Latest policy has been promulgated vide letter No 62502/Rtg 5 (OR) (A) dt 24 Aug 2010. The following are the basic Qualitative Requirement (QR) for re-enrolment of ex-servicemen
into Defence Service Corps (DSC).
Personnel from Army / Navy / Air Force should have rendered minimum five years colour service. Ex-Territorial Army (TA) personnel must have rendered three years embodied service with minimum attendance of seven Annual Training Camps.
- Character. Very Good or Exemplary.
- Discipline. Should not have more than one red ink entry during last five years of former service and not more than two red ink entries during the entire former service.
- Medical Category SHAPE-1 at the time of discharge from former service.
- Five Year Gap. Gap should be within five years from the date of discharge from former service till the individual reports to the recruiting agencies for physical and medical tests based on the call letter issued.
- Age. All ex-servicemen except ex-Clerks should be below 48 years on the date the individual reports to the recruiting agencies for physical and medical tests. Maximum age for ex-Clerks is below 50 years at the time of re-enrolment into Defence Service Corps
- Re-enrolment of Clerk Staff Duty (SD). Only Ex-Clerk (Staff Duty) who have retired from service in the rank of Naik / Havildar will be eligible for re-enrolment into Defence Service Corps (DSC) as Clerk Staff Duty. Clerk (Inventory Management) are not eligible.
- Re-enrolment of Territorial Army (TA) Personnel. Ex-Territorial Army (TA) personnel who are drawing pension for their Territorial Army (TA) service can be re-enrolled into
Defence Service Corps (DSC) through HQ Recruiting Zones, Army Recruiting Office's (AROs) and Regimental / Corps Training Centres against the vacancies assigned to ex-servicemen subject to fulfilling the other laid down
Qualitative Requirement (QR). However Ex-Territorial Army (TA) personnel will be re-enrolled into
Defence Service Corps (DSC) only by the Regimental Centres who are having Territorial Army (TA) Battalions. Details of embodied service in r/o personnel from TA duly calculated and signed by the Record Officer and the
certificate showing attendance of seven Annual Training Camps duly signed by Commanding Officer of the
Territorial Army (TA) Battalion only are to be obtained and forwarded together with pre-verification report to
Defence Service Corps (DSC) Records.
Ex-servicemen from Air Force and Navy will not be screened for re-enrolment into
Defence Service Corps (DSC) by Army Recruiting Office's / HQ Recruiting Zones / Regimental / Corps Training Centres (Auth :- 62502/Rtg B (A) dt 31 Jan 2013).
Re-enrolment of ex-JCOs into Defence Service Corps (DSC) is carried out under Lateral Entry Scheme. Terms and Conditions of service and Administrative Instructions for Lateral Entry of JCOs into
Defence Service Corps (DSC) has been promulgated vide
Defence Service Corps (DSC) Directorate letter No A/65869/DSC-1/Policy dt 28 Dec 2010.
Benefits Extended to NCC ‘C’ Certificate Holders who have taken part in Republic Day Parade at New Delhi.
In accordance with existing policy, the following incentives are provided to NCC certificate holders:
||Soldier General Duty Category
||Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical / Technical Nursing Assistant Category
||NCC ‘A’ Certificate
||NCC ‘B’ Certificate
||NCC ‘C’ Certificate
||Exempted from CEE
||Exempted from CEE
Note: NCC 'C' Certificate holders who have participated in Republic Day Parade at New Delhi are exempted from Common Entrance Examination (CEE)
for recruitment into Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical, Soldier Technical and Soldier Nursing Assistant Category and are awarded 100% marks in lieu of
Common Entrance Examination (CEE).