SSB Bangalore Join as an Officer

Places of Interest

Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium

Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium

Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium was founded by the Bangalore City Corporation in 1989. It is located on Sir.T Chowdaiah Road. Since 1992, it is managed by the Bangalore Association for Science Education (BASE). BASE is devoted to dissemination of science amongst the public and the student community. On the premises there are the Science Centre and a Science Park. The Planetarium has a 15.0 meters diameter dome with a seating capacity of 210.

Vidhana Soudha

Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium

This splendid neo-Dravidian granite building that dominates the northern boundary of the Cubbon park, is the home of the State Legislature and the Secretariat. It took four years of work by 5,000 labourers and 1,500 craftsmen to finish this magnificent structure in 1956. It is a fusion of four architectural styles – Dravidian, Rajasthani, Chola and Kannadiga. It is a magnificent structure granite with 12 massive pillars, archways and a wide flight of steps leading up to its entrance. The Indian national symbol four lions stands atop the biggest dome. The massive sandalwood door of the Cabinet room is a spectacular feature of this imposing building. The Vidhana Soudha is bedecked in illuminated glory during special periods and is a sight worth viewing. The building is open for visitors only after 3 PM.

Visvesvaraya Museum

Visvesvaraya Museum

Around 1960 prominent industrialists acted on an idea of setting up an industrial museum & Visvesvaraya Industrial Museum society was formed. Building of about 40,000 sq.ft area was built in Cubbon park with the financial support of industrialists, State & Government of India. On 11th Nov. 1962 late Prime minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru inaugurated the museum. The first gallery on "Electro Technic" was opened to the public on 27th July, 1965. In 1978 National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) an autonomous society was set up under the Dept. of Culture, Govt. of India.

Lal Bagh

Lal Bagh

Lal Bagh is a 240-acre (971,000 sq.m. - almost 1 km².) garden and is located in south Bangalore. It holds a number of flower shows, especially on the Republic Day (26 January). The garden has over 1,000 species of flora. The garden also has trees that are over 100 years old. The garden surrounds one of the towers erected by the founder of Bangalore, Kempe Gowda. The park has some rare species of plants brought from Persia, Afghanistan and France. With an intricate watering system for irrigation, this garden is aesthetically designed, with lawns, flowerbeds, lotus pools and fountains. Most of the centuries old trees are labelled for easy identification. The Lal Bagh Rock, one of the oldest rock formations on earth, dating back to 3,000 million years, is another attraction that attracts the crowds.

Cubbon Park

Cubbon Park

Cubbon Park is a landmark 'lung' area of the Bangalore city, located (12.97°N 77.6°E) within the heart of city in the Central Administrative Area. Originally created in 1870, when Major General Richard Sankey was the then British Chief Engineer of Mysore state, it covered an area of 100 acres (0.40 km2) and subsequent expansion has taken place and the area reported now is about 300 acres (1.2 km2). It has a rich recorded history of abundant flora and fauna plantations coupled with numerous impressive and aesthetically located buildings and statues of famous personages, in its precincts. This public park was first named as "Meade’s Park” after Sir John Meade, the acting Commissioner of Mysore in 1870 and subsequently renamed as Cubbon Park after the longest serving commissioner of the time, Sir Mark Cubbon. To commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar’s rule in Mysore State, in the year 1927, the park was again renamed as "Sri. Chamarajendra Park", in memory of the 19th Century ruler of the state Sri Chamarajendra Wodeyar (1868 – 94) during whose rule the park came into existence.[4] The landscaping in the park creatively integrates natural rock outcrops with thickets of trees, massive bamboos, with grassy expanse and flowerbeds and the monuments within its limits, regulated by the Horticulture Department of the Government of Karnataka. The predominantly green area of the park has many motorable roads, and the well laid out walking paths running through the park are frequented by early morning walkers and the naturalists who study plants in the tranquil natural environment.

Places of Religious Interest

Jumma Masjid

Jumma Masjid

The Jumma Masjid is probably the oldest mosque in the city. It is an imposing structure with tall ornamented granite pillars adorning the elevated prayer hall. Scores of devote Muslim worshippers throng this masjid during the annual festivals of the Muslims. It is located in the busy market area of Bangalore, K.R.Market.

St. Mary’s Church

St. Mary’s Church

Established by a French missionary Abbe Dubois in 1811, St.Mary’s church is the only church in Karnataka state to be elevated to the status of a minor Basilica. Every September, The Virgin Mary’s festival is celebrated with a procession that attracts people of all faiths. The church is situated near the Shivaji Nagar Bus Terminal.

ISKCON Temple

ISKCON Temple

Sri Radha Krishna Temple or has deities of Radha and Krishna located at Rajajinagar, in the North Bangalore, Karnataka, India. It is one of the largest ISKCON temples in the world. The temple is a huge cultural complex that was inaugurated in 1997 by Shankar Dayal Sharma and His Holiness Jayapataka Swami following the wishes of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, the Founder-Acharya of ISKCON to promote Vedic culture and spiritual learning.

Gurudwara

Gurudwara

Guru Nanak, the Sikh guru, was the first Sikh to visit Bengaluru. On his way back from Sri Lanka he halted at Bangalore. Kempegowda met him and sought his blessings. Gurunanak not only blessed Kempegowda but also told him to develop the place. But it took many more years for a Sikh Gurudwara to be built in Bangalore. There are now three Gurudwaras in Bangalore. The first Sikh Gurudwara and the largest in Bangalore near the Ulsoor Lake on the Kensington Road, is an elegant and white structure (pictured), which was opened on April 13, 1946. It has been renovated recently with marble floors. The large prayer hall accommodates about 500 devotees at a time. Special prayers are offered every Sunday. The temple wears a colourful look as special prayers are offered and more than a thousand people from all religions come here to worship. The Sri Guru Singh Sabha which manages the Gurudwara also runs a school, a medical centre and a function hall also provides accommodation (a day's stay) to the tourists

Important Place in and Around Bangalore

Go to the links

Go to Navigation